Fun! Fun! Fun!
The power of play is incredible. With benefits including increased range of motion, more social contact with their peers and a wealth of opportunities to gain new skills, our kids thrive because they get to participate in unique recreational and leisure programs.
Not only that, our recreational and leisure programs help break down barriers to accessibility in our city. Every time our kids are out in the community —whether they are attending a Raptors game or touring through Ripley’s Aquarium— they are teaching others important lessons about stigma and inclusion, and forcing service providers to reflect on the accessibility of their businesses.
“One of my favourite Safehaven memories was when the staff surprised me with tickets to see Jason Derulo in concert. The staff knew how much I love him and they reached out to the concert venue to get tickets. It really proved that the staff had taken the time to get to know me, and it was so much fun!”
Where our Kids Explore
Thanks to the generous support of our community partners, our clients participated in a record number of recreational and leisure programs over the last year. These included:
- Toronto Blue Jays, Raptors and Maple Leafs games
- Concerts including Ariana Grande and John Mayer
- Snoezelen multisensory therapy
- The Safehaven Summer Swim Program
- Field trips to the ROM, Ripley’s Aquarium and Ontario Science Centre
- The National Ballet’s Sharing Dance Day
- Safehaven’s annual Superhero Party
- Music, pet and art therapy
- NXNE Music and Arts Festival
- Canada’s Wonderland
- CharterAbility Accessible boat cruises
- And so much more